In addition to the other things on your never-ending to-do list, don’t forget to submit your publications for evaluations, critiques and awards. Cross it off your list quickly by delegating this process to a responsible student or team of students.
Here are some important deadlines to remember:
- Spring Publications/Media — June 12, 2017 — send in two copies, one for award, one for critique
- Fall Yearbooks — October 3, 2017
- Gold Circle Individual Awards — October 10,2017
- Newspaper and Broadcast Pacemaker Deadline — June 23, 2017
- Yearbook, Online and Pacemaker Magazine deadlines to be announced in November
- Individual Awards Deadline — June 23, 2017
- Courage in Student Journalism Award — June 8, 2017
The following contests are due July 15, 2017:
- Administrator of the Year
- Carl Towley Award
- Friend of Scholastic Journalism
- Future Teacher Scholarships
- Rising Star Award
- Medal of Merit
Additionally, Broadcast of the Year and Yearbook Adviser of the Year nominations are due October 15, 2017.
- Yearbook Excellence Contest — November 1, 2017
- Quill and Scroll News Media Evaluation and Gallup Award — June 15, 2017 for Newspapers and Magazines
If your 2017 yearbook features stylish designs, inclusive coverage, strong photography, a cool theme or dazzling cover, submit it today for consideration to be featured in the 2018 Look Book.
Submit 2017 spring-delivery or 2016 fall-delivery yearbooks by the postmark deadline of Friday, June 23, 2017. Send the complete yearbook along with the completed entry form (login to Yearbook Avenue and look under the “Be a Better Yearbooker” section for the form). The yearbook will not be returned.
Word to the wise, I believe in evalutions and contests; scoring high and winning always appeals to my competitive nature. But you have to remember that while there are certain standards to meet, there is still a lot of subjectivity to some of the feedback. So you and your kids have to be prepared for the good and the bad and decide what works best for your audience and program.
Did we miss anything? Share with us at email@example.com and we’ll get the contest added to the list.